There is quite a lot of information on the internet about the differences betweeen a Facebook Personal Account and a Facebook Page but it is all a bit spread out and you can waste quite a lot of time gathering it all up in order to get a clear picture.
So, to save you all time and a few headaches, I’ve created a summary of the main points which should hopefully help you choose the option best suited to your needs.
Here it goes!
|Facebook Personal Account||Facebook Page|
|Who is it meant for||Private individuals.||Businesses, brands, organisations or celebrities.|
|What is its aim||Non-commercial use.||To represent a business, brand or product.|
|Also…||You are meant to have only one personal account and use your real name.||You can create several pages using the same personal account.|
|Friends, Followers or Likes?||Lets you allow Followers (read how). They will then see the public content of your timeline in their News Feed without having to become Friends.||Everybody who has Liked your Page (and their Friends!) will see your updates through their News Feed.
Furthermore, once you have had 30 Likes or more you get some useful statistics about your audience (Insights).
|Must remember that…||It is not good practice to make public all the information in your personal Facebook account.
Don’t forget to check your Privacy Settings!
|All the posts on a page are public.|
So, if you already have a personal Facebook account and…
- … want to start using it to promote your business or organisation, my recommendation would be to keep the personal account as it is but use it to create a new Page for the business or organisation (read how).
- … have something to say and wish to share it with a wider public, the best option is to allow Followers (read how) on your personal account and post the information you want to share as Public.
- Likes: https://www.facebook.com/help/www/452446998120360/
- Follow: https://www.facebook.com/help/www/382751108453953/
- Pages: https://www.facebook.com/help/281592001947683/
- News Feed: https://www.facebook.com/help/327131014036297
- Insights: https://www.facebook.com/help/www/336893449723054?rdrhc
- Stay Safe on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/help/122006714548814, and http://www.wikihow.com/Keep-Safe-on-Facebook
- Converting Personal Account to Page: https://www.facebook.com/help/175644189234902/